Join our team today!
Democracy for America staff and fellows put their talents and skills to work each and every day to make the Democratic Party more progressive and move our country forward.
Open positions (if available) are listed below, along with instructions on how to apply.
Democracy for America, a national progressive political action committee with more than one million members nationwide, is looking for two Fellows eager to learn the ins and outs of political fundraising, communications, digital, and electoral work, so that they may become and lead the next generation of progressive organizers and strategists. Since its 2004 founding, DFA members have raised and contributed more than $65 million and made nearly 22 million volunteer calls to help successfully elect over 1,100 progressive candidates nationwide.
Fellows will spend a full year learning the ins and outs of progressive PAC work and working across various departments. Upon completing this fellowship, fellows will be able to use their skills to improve the movement in campaigns and organizations elsewhere, or continue on at DFA.
The ideal candidate for this role is committed to creating a more reflective democracy to fight against structural racism and systemic oppression, is positively progressive, innovative, detail-oriented, solution-oriented in the face of uncertainty, an enthusiastic and understanding teammate, and able to gracefully perform at a high level when the pressure is on.
Democracy for America is an equal opportunity employer that strongly values and looks to continue building a team that reflects the diversity of our country and the progressive movement. Women, people of color, queer, trans, and gender nonconforming people, people from poor and working class backgrounds, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. The salary for the fellowship position is $50,000 for the year. We offer a generous benefits package including health insurance, office and internet stipends, and no minimum or maximum PTO days. This position is for 40 hours per week, during regular work hours. While DFA has a small office in Burlington, VT, our staff is now 100 % remote and work from their own home bases around the country.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Development support: Donor prospecting and research, assisting current donors via email and phone, updating databases, drafting donor communications both email and written form.
- Membership support: Composing member engagement and fundraising communications, monitoring social media and email inboxes, generating content for social media, assisting with the management of social media accounts. Assisting with DFA’s member engagement email program
- Assisting with DFA website updates, web services and back-end technical support.
- Passionately progressive; Fully interested in completing all aspects of progressive political work.
- Deeply committed to using the electoral process to build a reflective democracy and fight white supremacy and patriarchy from campaign offices to Congressional offices, and can put that commitment into practice every day.
- An obsession with detail; you take the time to capitalize first and last names within a database.
- Self-starter: Able to initiate and complete projects with minimal supervision; able to prioritize work and manage workflow as projects and assignments start and are completed.
- A dedication to getting the job done, even when the task isn’t very exciting.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Strong familiarity with political blogs, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Previous data management, VAN, and digital mobilization experience is ideal, but not required.
- Comfortable with remote work.
To apply, please answer all of the questions below (5 sentences, max, per question) and mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment with the Subject Line: [JOBS AT DFA] Fellow. Please also attach your resume. Cover letters are not required and will not be reviewed as part of your application. No phone calls, please. The application window for this fellowship closes on June 23rd.
- How did you learn about the fellowship position at DFA?
- How would you describe DFA to a friend or family member?
- What candidates (for any office) are on your radar right now? Briefly, why?
- How can DFA’s social media work ensure racial justice is a critical part of national political arguments, especially for progressive policy like Medicare for All and the Green New Deal?
- Describe what teamwork means to you and how you have successfully worked as a member of a team.
- Working remotely can sometimes make it hard to stay on task. Have you worked remotely previously? Tell us how you organize your daily tasks and projects. Do you use Google calendar? Excel? A notepad? Something else?